Our Publishing Package
Writers Guild Kenya through its self-publishing service helps authors to realize their dreams to publish quality books at an affordable cost.
1. What is the self-publishing service?
- Provision of Professional and Competitive Publishing services i.e Editing, Proofreading, Cover and Layout Design, Printing and general production of the book at the author’s cost.
- The Client(Author), retains full rights, benefits, risk and responsibility of the book.
- Distribution costs of the book are excluded. However, a separate arrangement with Writers Guild Kenya exists should the client be interested.
2. Is my Manuscript Ready for Publishing?
QUICK READINESS TEST!
- Why do I want to Publish?
- Whom do I target?
- Have I self-edited the manuscript at least twice?
- Have I shared it with at least 3 of my close friends/associates who have read it and given me feedback that I have acted on?
- Did I write it, keep it away and came back to it after a month? Did I like it?
“Rejection by the editor is better than rejection by the reader.” – Gabriel Dinda, Founder, Writers Guild Kenya.
3. Self Publishing Overview with Writers Guild Kenya
Writers Guild Kenya receives the manuscript (or the first few sections) and does an evaluation (to determine readiness for publishing). A comprehensive report is provided with an explanation of the way forward. Evaluation takes 16 days.
Evaluation points out any gaps that the writer may need to work on before proceeding to publishing. The Report from the evaluation will be helpful to the writer in improving their script or in making changes as they proceed to publishing.
Once evaluated, and established to be ready for Publishing, WGK and the author sign a Publishing Contract (containing the terms of engagements, timelines and costs).
The timelines are set and agreed on by both parties. Resources are mobilized and the journey starts
Editorial work sets in (Editing, Proofreading, Design and Layout, Approval and Printing).
- Editing entails: Re-organization of the script for the flow, transitions and fact checking, grammar, spelling, plotting, pacing, fixing plot holes, characterization, the general prospective outcome of the book and suggestions on new approaches and current dynamics in publishing such books.
- Design includes: Typesetting for the margin size, typeface, font size, the style of chapter starts, trim size, cover images and dimensions etc.
N/B: This process is consultative. The Editor and author works together to ensure that both are on the same page at all times.
The complete book is handed over to the author for approval. Cheers to the latest book in the word!
Book launch or Distribution arrangements are made (if desired).
Your book is now ready to influence the world. With this, your name is permanently written in history. Congratulations
4. What Else You Should Know
❖ The published work shall bear Writers Guild Kenya’s logo on the front or/and back cover.
❖ The copyright is attributed to the author.
❖ The client pays a down payment of 60% of the total publication cost before any work commences, 20% of the remaining amount is paid once the work is done and approved (soft copy), and the other 20% upon receipt of the sample copies of the book (hard copy).
❖ Marketing, sales, and distribution are the responsibility of the author unless otherwise agreed with the Writers Guild Kenya.
❖ All proceeds from the sales belong to the client except where the distribution fee is charged.
❖ The contract of the book elapses when the client approves the work upon the receipt of soft copies (writing done in email), and hardcopy (signed physical copy of approval letter). Thereafter, any proposed change is regarded as a new project whose cost is renegotiated and paid separately. Approval of the work must be done in writing.
The author is required to provide 5 copies of the published book to Writers Guild –Kenya for official cataloging procedures according to Books and Magazines Act Cap 111
5. Publishing Costs
|Evaluation of Manuscript||0-50,000 words –Ksh.15,960 |
50,000-100,000 words- Ksh.17,820
100,000-200,000 words –Ksh. 23,880
Above 200,000 words – To be discussed
|Comprehensive Editorial Work(Editing & Proofreading)||1: Platinum Option
Editor of 15 and above years’ experience –Ksh. 3.9 Per word.
2: Golden Option
Editor of 5 to 15 years’ experience –Ksh. 1.7 per word.
3: Bronze Option
Editor of 0-5 years’ experience–Ksh. 1.3 per word
|Cover Design and Complete Layout(with Limited marketing posters)||No. of Pages
0-50,000 Words- Ksh. 30,900
50,000-100,000 Words-Ksh. 40,600
100,000 and above- Ksh.50,800
|Service Cost(ISBN and Copyright Registration, General advisory, Administrative Costs(related to the book), Publishing consultancy, Printing Coordination )||Ksh. 44,000|
|Printing (Available in Print on Demand-PoD and Mass Printing).||Based on Method chosen and specifications of the book|
|Total||To be calculated based on your manuscript|
N/B: No hidden costs, everything is on the table(literally). The rates above are only applicable to a manuscript(s) of 15,000 words and above.
6. How is Writers Guild – Kenya Self- Publishing Different?
1. Personalized attention-it is you and us!
2. Post-publishing support (distribution, review, marketing, discussions and lifetime guidance)
3. Access and assistance enjoy modern marketing avenues (Social Media, Non-Book events, Unique Marketing channels etc.)
4. Unmatched Editorial excellence hence guaranteed quality.
5. Access to our unlimited networks of mentors, editors, authors, printers and bookish people worldwide.
6. Just a call away. As convenient for you.
Ready to Get Started?
You can download our catalogue below or visit our shop to explore books written by amazing authors like you.
7. Frequently Asked Questions About Self-Publishing
Can my book return the investment I put in it?
Yes, depending on how you package your work. The mistake most authors make is to only depend on book sales and worse still depend on the traditional methods of distribution (Library and Bookshops). Our readers have moved to Social Media and non-book events. If you are smart enough to use the book as your business card, or as a key to an opportunity, and also tap into the new avenues of distribution, you will not only return the investment but you will also live on it.
How can I raise the finances to publish? Your costs seem a bit high
If you compare our costs and the costs of a poorly done book, you will realize that we are so affordable. A bad book is bad for your work, your name and itself (as a book). There are a number of persons and organizations willing to finance book publications. We can guide you more on this. The Shortage of money shouldn’t make you publish a book of poor quality. If you are to compromise on quality, then you are better off unpublished. Let’s discuss your unique case, we have varied financial options which will help you.
I am told that Africans don’t read. Who will buy my book?
Granted, Africa might not have as many readers as other parts of the world. However, to assume that Africans DON’T read is to make an error. There are many ardent readers and many people who would love to be guided and supported in starting their readership. If only you would ensure the content of your book is juicy, then package it well (quality publishing), and finally, present it where required, you will be surprised where the readers have been.
Do you have reference materials on Writing and Publishing that can help me understand this better?
Yes. “The Craft of Creative Writing” is the best guide you can gift yourself. It covers the writing overview on exploring writing as a career, elements of writing, engaging the reader, refining your writing and publishing your book. The book contains complete writing resources in Kenya and beyond.
In addition, we share useful materials through our website (Under writing and Publishing Resources). Check it out through- www.writersguild.co.ke
8. The Next Steps…
Request for a quote for your manuscript and get it IN MINUTES.
Reach out today
The Publishing Manager,
The Writers Centre, Nairobi.