YOUR HEALTH IS YOUR WEALTH
By Pricilla Kona
The first 1000 days present 1000 forests of health opportunity.
Hands up every working mother who breast fed her infant for six months! Bravo!
And now pregnant mothers are facing the knife ,mandatory voluntary counselling and testing for HIV: a clear sign that the interests of their unborn babies is paramount to all else.
All thanks to a carefully co-ordinated medical approach ; the now celebrated prevention of mother to child transmission [pmtct] program ,one of whose tenets is exclusive breastfeeding for six months to ALL lactating mothers. Here’s a couple of key ways to promote health.
The priceless benefits of breast milk are unmatched;
- Infant health and cognitive
- Delay in subsequent pregnancies , ahoy!
- Dearth of latter day chronic conditions like diabetes mellitus and heart disease.
To young mothers just the effort of giving your young one a varied and balanced diet will turn your kid into a person; glowing, strong and smart
To mothers who like to have a drink here and there, here’s some info. Did you know that a drunk baby eats less and sleeps more? Plus (s)he is prone to the Fetal Alcohol Syndrome [mental retardation]. You wouldn’t want you child to end up like this,r would you?
Growth spurt in toddlers and adolescent is a function of a proper and adequate diet. So let this be at the back of your mind when preparing your picky toddler’s plate. Remind the adolescent girl about her fruit, vegetable , liver ,bean, fish need, a.k.a her iron intake This helps address her lifelong iron needs for blood volume .The adolescent boy will pay you to feed him more now, his energy needs unprecedented. Collectively they will morph into adults.
To the young adult we say, a daily brisk walk improves your flexibility , posture, bone and muscle tone, heart health and can reduce depression. Eat well . A poor diet, rich in TOO MUCH processed foods fat and sugar daily sets you up for latter day life threatening conditions like diabetes mellitus, cancer, heart disease…will likely escort you into afterlife too early.
What influences food choices?
- Both medical conditions and age
- Body image. Have you seen women who avoid food for image, raising eyebrows for obvious reasons?
- Convenience. In spite of their artificial additives , who doesn’t love these; ready to eat food flying off shop shelves directly into your stomach?
- We all eat what we prefer, and prefer what we normally eat. Habit.
What Should I Eat?
A largely plant powered diet , moderate in animal products and plenty in exercise, is a start.
Optimum good health in adulthood is possible and sits on eight planks;
- adequate, varied diet 2 exercise 3 water 4 sunshine 5 temperance or moderation 6 fresh air 7 rest 8 thankfulness
We are what we eat .
What is on your plate? White or red meat?
Your health is your wealth from cradle to grave, arguably.